Voting in New Canaan

Voting in New Canaan

To register to vote in NC you must prove you are a U.S. citizen, town resident and at least 17 years old. To vote in a general election you must be 18 by that day, but may also vote in the primary for that election if then 17. Register online at or in person with Registrars or Town Clerk, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm or by mail. Get mail-in forms from Town Clerk, Registrars, or the library. For general election, register by mail by 14 days, or in person 7 days before. For primary, register with Party by mail by the Thursday before, or in person by noon the day before. Only Party members may vote in its primary, with a 3 month wait for party change. If eligible, you may register on Election Day. Check with Registrar or on town and state websites for details.

New Canaan’s new election district 1 vote at NCHS; new districts 2 and 3 at Saxe. Polls are open, 6:00 am to 8:00 pm in CT general elections. For absentee ballot, apply in person or mail to Town Clerk on a Clerk’s form, beginning 19 days before a primary or 30 days before a regular election. Return ballot to the Clerk in person or mail by 4:30 pm election day. No absentee ballot can be presented in person at the polls.

New Canaan Party Committees

Democratic Town Committee, Ellen Kiernan, Chair P.O. Box 1294, New Canaan, CT 06840

Republican Town Committee, Patrick Donovan, Chair P.O. Box 42, New Canaan, CT 06840

Frequently Asked Questions (from the New Canaan Registrars of Voters Website)

How do I register? 
You may register in person in the Registrars’ office or in the Office of the Town Clerk, both in Town Hall. You may also register by mail by requesting an application by phone from the Registrars. Applications are also available from the library and a number of state agencies, as well as through the Department of Motor Vehicles. You may also download the form here: Mail-in Registration Form

What are the deadlines and qualifications?
Any U.S. citizen who is a resident of the town and will turn 18 by election or primary day may register and vote. Seventeen year-olds may register, and will acquire their rights upon their 18th birthday. Those who have been convicted of a felony lose their rights and cannot have their voting rights restored until completion of their incarceration and payment of any fines.

The deadline to register and vote  in Connecticut is 14 Days by mail, and seven days in person for an election. Any person who attains 18, moves in town, or becomes a U.S. citizen after the deadline but on or before election day, may apply in person in the Registrars’ office.

Connecticut does allow Election Day registration for general only. Contact the Registrars for details and location.

For eligibility in a primary, the deadline to register or enroll in a party is five days prior to the primary date if applying in person. Voters must be enrolled in a party to be eligible to vote in that party’s primary.

How do I join or enroll in a party?

Registering to vote in a political party allows you to participate in that party’s political primaries (where they choose the candidate who will run in the general election) and organizations. You should choose the party that best matches up with your own personal beliefs and principles. Individuals who are members of political parties defend the party’s values and/or platform. If you do not wish to enroll in a political party you will be designated as “Unaffiliated” – commonly misinterpreted to be “Independent” which is a registered party in Connecticut and may only vote in the general election.

You may enroll in a party (or switch parties if already registered) when you register to vote, or at any time after you have registered. This may be done by mail or in person using the form available from the Registrars of Voters office or from the Town Clerk’s Office. Changing from a major party to another major party, of which Connecticut has 2: Republican & Democrat requires a 3 month waiting period before the right to participate in the new party’s caucuses or primaries is attained.

Districts & Party Counts as of October 3, 2013
Republican: 6669
Democrat: 2,564
Unaffiliated: 3,644
Other: 50
Total: 12,927

If you do not enroll in a party at the time of registration, you will be listed as Unaffiliated, and will not be eligible for primaries or caucuses. Enrollment, or lack of enrollment, in no way affects your right to vote in any election or referendum.

Enrollment in a party brings with it benefits and rights beyond voting in primaries and caucuses. Besides having a voice in the selection of candidates for office, you can serve on the local Town Committee, help shape party platforms and input issues, participate in campaigns, and promote the candidacy of a particular candidate. Party members are kept informed of upcoming issues, elections, and candidates.

Service as a member of our elected boards such as the Town Council, Board of Education, Board of Selectmen, or one of the other elected offices, improves and strengthens our town.

Party membership is the most common way for a voter to become directly involved in local affairs through participation on those boards and commissions appointed by the Board of Selectmen such as Park and Recreation, Planning and Zoning, Finance, Youth, etc., along with many lesser advisory committees. These boards and committees are the real grass roots of our local government.

How do I vote by Absentee Ballot?

Contact the New Canaan Town Clerk at 203-594-3070
Please see: Absentee Ballot information

Where do I vote?
New Canaan is divided into three voting districts, and uses two polling places. Please refer to the Voting District Map.

Polling Places:
District #1 voters residing in CT Senatorial #36 & CT Assembly #125
New Canaan High School 3 Farm Road

District #2 voters residing in CT Senatorial #26 & CT Assembly #125
Saxe Middle School 468 South Avenue

District #3 voters residing in CT Senatorial #26 & CT Assembly #142
Saxe Middle School 468 South Avenue

The 3 polling places in New Canaan will be open from 6am to 8pm.

Voter Registration Lookup and Polling Place Location  

Federal and State Officials
Secretary of the State

I was registered in Connecticut or I’ve moved within the town. Do I need to re-register?
Anyone moving into New Canaan must re-register. Your former voting Town should also be notified that you have moved out of Town.
Anyone moving within New Canaan needs to notify the Registrars” Office of the change of address.

Please follow the link to State of Connecticut On-line Voter Registration System: